11/10/09

This Week in High Fashion~ What you see is what they're selling...

This Week in High Fashion~ What you see is what they're selling...

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 at 3:18pm

This is an excellent article that I'm re-posting...
The growing versatility of the photo shop/lightroom tools are fast becoming a huge thorn in my side. As a makeup artist, I've been personally insulted by photographers who "prefer to work with a bare faced model and add makeup and enhancements with photoshop". I was totally floored by this statement. Photoshop is great, don’t get me wrong, I know that makeup can’t fix every flaw, and if you’re unfortunately shaped, even photoshop can’t give you an asset that you’re lacking. But seriously… I can see it all now, in a few short years there won’t even be a need for actual models for magazines…the images that “normal” women will break their banks and hearts to emulate will have been created in a dark basement by a computer geek who’s never even seen a real woman up close and personal… I’m not the most computer savvy girl, and I can appreciate the work that goes into photoshop (although if you’ve seen those Ralph Lauren ads, it’s some pretty half-assed pbotoshop… your body should NOT look like a funhouse mirror victim)… but the question is, why is it necessary? Whatever happened to “what you see is what you get”? It’s been seamlessly replaced with “what you see is what they’re selling”… and ladies, they’re selling you bullshit.


This is a window display for Ralph Lauren in Australia... ladies, do you know ANYONE who looks like this who isn't hospitalized? This is NOT a normal body. Incidentally, the model featured in this fantabulously crappy ad was fired for "not adhering to her contract", I wonder if the actual reason was that she didn't really look like this poster in real life... tsk tsk model... false advertising yourself like that. But really... Kiss my ass RL

No comments:

Post a Comment